Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Red (Transplanted Tales, #1) by Kate Serine


Title: Red (Transplanted Tales, #1)
Author: Katie SeRine
Publisher: Kensington Publishing
Publication Date: August 2, 2012

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

From Goodreads:

“My name is Tess Little. But everyone calls me Red.”

Once upon a time, a spell went awry, stranding Make Believe characters in the ordinary world. Since then, Tess “Red” Little—a/k/a Little Red Riding Hood—has worked as an Enforcer for the Chicago branch of the Fairytale Management Authority. But, consider yourself warned—she’s not just some waif with a basket of goodies. All grown up and with nothing to lose, a gun and combat boots is more her style. And Red’s new assignment threatens to be short on happily ever afters…

Someone is murdering transplanted Tales in gruesome fashion. The list of fictional characters capable of such grisly acts is short and includes more than one of Red’s old flames. And if that wasn’t bad enough, there’s another complication, in the form of sexy, enigmatic Nate Grimm, the FMA’s lead detective and part-time Reaper. Used to following her own rules and living life on the edge, Red has managed to avoid taking on a partner until now. But Nate’s dark side makes him perfect for a case like this. That is, if she can trust him. Because if there’s one thing Red knows for sure, it’s that believing in the wrong person can have big, bad consequences…



My Thoughts:

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I freaking loved this book. I'd heard this book was more UF than PNR and that the romance aspect was "lite". So I kept putting it off. Well, after reading, I just have to say that I'm clearly an idiot.

The main characters weren't all about ripping off each other's clothes (though you knew they both wanted to!) but holy moly this author can build sexual tension like nobody's business. And the story itself-the Tales being tranplanted to the Here and Now and what happened to all our favorite fairy tale and literary characters was superb. I nearly choked when I found out what Snow does in the Here and Now. And Nicky?! Loved that turn but I will say, what happened in Red, I balled my eyes out. That was absolutely heart-breaking. And Juliet (though, I wonder what happened to Romeo!?!). And we can;t forget about the Big Bad Wolf, Cinderella and her Prince Charming (Oh, what a jerk!) and the fairy godmother.

I can't wait to read the next installment of this series and find out about Lavender and Seth. My heart broke for both of them in the first book and I was seriously conflicted about who Seth should end up with. But Nate, well Nate was loyal, true and just awesome. Even if he is a Reaper. I loved their connection and when I found out the "true" story of Red and how she was cast out of her village I was really hoping that her savior was who he turned out to be. I think I even heaved a great big, satisfied sigh when it was confirmed.

Thank you to the author, Kate SeRine, for restoring my faith in Urban Fantasy and proving that UF can rock your world with a kick butt heroine who isn't afraid to be vulnerable AND have a smoking hot romance (and romantic tension) between the main characters.

To purchase this book or for more information, check out the links at:




*This book was a self-purchase. All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. I've been watching blogger after blogger rave about these books. OK, OK, I'm putting them on my TBR list already! ;-)

    ReplyDelete