Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Sunday Post: Reading, Writing, ROW80 & Camp NaNo

 
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. 
~this meme was inspired in part by ~ In My Mailbox~
It's a chance to share News. 
A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog. 

This is your news post, so personalize it! Include as much as you want or as little. Be creative, it can be a vlog or just a showcase of your goodies. 

This week, I'm going to start participating in The Sunday Post, a weekly meme that is sort of a week in review (see description and link above).  Because of this my Sunday ROW80 updates will be combined with the rest of the reading and reviewing I've done during the week. Combining everything in this "week in review" post saves me time so I can concentrate on doing what I need to do-that is, writing, reading and reviewing. I'll try to keep these short and sweet, but well, no promises!

Books Read/Reviewed Last Week

The Rake's Vow (Cynster #2) by Stephanie Laurens: Although the heroine annoyed the crap out of me at times I really did like this book. I just thought the miscommuncation between them went on way too long. No worries though, Scandal (aka Richard) is up next in this series and I can't wait to see who he's paired with!

I also did a re-read of Kristen Ashley's Sweet Dreams this week because I cannot get enough of Tate. I really love this book and even after 5 re-reads it doesn't get old for me. I mean it's TATE!  I also started to read Fringe Benefits by Christine Pope but I am having a hard time getting into it. I hope to finish it soon but right now I've set it aside for a bit.

What I'm Reading This Week 

I'm going to tackle Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna today. I've been trying to get to this for over a week but events have conspired against me. I also want to read Nine Rules of Romancing A Rake, one of the books I purchased on sale this week. Hopefully I can get to them both and post some reviews. 


Stacking The Shelves

You can check out my weekly book haul HERE, in the Stacking The Shelves post.  I'm going to be participating in this meme most weekends (likely Friday/Saturdays)-or at least those weekends that follow the purchase of books. And since I have a slight book addiction, it will be often. Sad for my wallet, but good for me. :D As a side note, I have been very picky lately with what books I'm buying and try to hit only sales and freebies. With the latest plagiarism debacles out there I am being very careful about where and who I spend my cash on. I've also been getting great books from the library, both in ebook format for my Nook and paperback. I've saved a ton of money this way and found some great authors/series  I've missed. I like being able to on something new to see if I'll like before spending the dough.

ROW80

I decided to do Camp NaNo in July. With everything going on I might have been  a bit crazed when I decided to give it a go but I need to get back into my daily writing and with Round 3 of ROW80, well, what better time than now?! That being said, I set a goal of 30K words which is only 1K a day, but I'm already behind. Oops. Anyways, here's my ROW80 update:

Write/Revise 5 hours per week: Done though I haven't made any progress wordcount wise for Camp NaNo. I've been writing a bunch of back stories for characters and outlining chapters/scenes. Hopefully I can make up some ground this week with that.
Blog a minimum of one book review per week, here and/or on Goodreads: Done, see above for link to my GR review.
Blog once per week on something that isn't a book review or ROW80 update: Done! Again, see above for my Stacking the Shelves post!
Post my Sunday ROW80 Update: Clearly this is done.
Organize my WiP Plan via Excel: I didn't get to figuring out exactly how to create the spreadsheet I want though I've been doing some google searches/research on how to put this together. Hopefully this week I will have more success.

Next week my goals will be the same. As I mentioned in my initial Round 3 post, I'm starting slow and will build up my goals as the Round progresses.

Around the Web

Because Llamas really are fabulous

Some great tips from Julie Jordan Scott on how to use your phone to improve your writing.  I love #4, that's an exercise I have my students do when I am teaching composition. Nothing like a little bit of free writing to get the creative juices flowing!

Danielle Hubert's Hehehe pinterest board is freaking hilarious. Check it out if you get a minute. I laughed until my stomach hurt at some of those pins.

So how did you do this week? What are you reading or what kind of book haul did you have this week? And writers (and ROWers), how is your week going? Are you moving forward on your goals? Let me know in the comments!

That's it for me, for now. I've got to go to another baseball game-my nephew's team advanced in the Little League All-Stars tournament. But I'm taking my Nook so I can get some reading in before it starts. It is going to be painful-literally-because I'm nursing a wicked cold and can't hear a thing (I hate when my ears get plugged!) but I have to go because it's his last year in Little League.  So if anyone has any remedies for curing plugged up ears, let me know. (I will be eternally grateful!!) I've already tried swallowing, yawning, eating hard candy, taking Mucinex D, and OTC drops to clear them and still, nothing. It's driving me crazy not being able to hear anything. I can't even hear me typing this! Crazy, no?! And it's kind of freaking me out too. Anyways, enough of my whining! I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday and have a great week!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on your nephew's baseball team! I hope you enjoy your new books and the week ahead. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! His team won...now we are off to the Championships. I swear, this season is never ending! :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh... ear pressure--been fighting that for a year now. The doctor says they can't see anything wrong, but there are those rare moments it pops and I know (as I'm sure you do too, Kat). I wish I had a suggestion to help. (I do find it's easier to pop mine when I've held a very warm wet washcloth over my ear for a time, but it's just easier--it still doesn't always work.)

    And just so you know, linking to Pinterest boards like Danielle's is just evil. Especially since I'm also behind on my CampNaNo.... Evil, I tell you!

    Have a great week, Kat. See you around Twitter and the the sprints; maybe we'll get caught up on some words that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahahaha...it's been said I can be evil. ;) But seriously, that board cracks me up! Thanks for the tips on the ear pressure. I am going to try the hot washcloth thing later today. Thanks for stopping by and I'll see ya in the twitter-verse (and during sprints for sure!)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like I need to read "Sweet Dreams", I have a few books that I have read multiple times and still can't get enough of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very rarely re-read books but Kristen Ashley's Colorado Mountain series are definite re-reads. And Sweet Dreams is just fantastic. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow this got repeated. I apparently suck at publishing comments from my phone! See above for the commenter's, well, comment, and my reply! :)

      Delete
  5. I'll be cheering you on for Camp NaNo! I'm not a writer myself, but I really admire people who are :). Happy reading week!

    Jessica @ Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support-it was a last minute decision to do another Camp NaNo (I completed the April one) so I was unprepared for the start of it. But I am hoping to make a dent in my wordcount today. *fingers crossed* Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love your goals. It looks like you did really well! Bravo!
    - Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hear you on the crazy life and doing camp Nano. I've signed up as well. But I set my goal as 10k instead of 50k. I can't get 50k out this month, but I want to write. :)

    Best of Luck with Camp Nano and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Camp NaNo goals are usually less than 50K-I save that craziness for November! LOL Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kat! Thanks for stopping by my blog, sorry this reply is a day late. I am so envious of those of you who have the talent to write. I can technically write and edit but I have no imagination or characters in my head talking to me, so sadly I will not be a writer. Best of luck on NaNo. I hope you meet all your goals!

    ReplyDelete