Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1) by Lori Foster

Title: Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1)
Author: Lori Foster
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: February 6, 2007

My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

From Goodreads:

Orphaned and torn from his sisters as a boy, sexy extreme wrestler Dean "Havoc" Conor gets a letter revealing how much his siblings want him back in Harmony, Kentucky. To stop his sister from marrying a sleazeball, Dean finds himself teaming up with her pretty-but-smart-mouthed friend Eve-who's heard of Havoc's reputation and doesn't need some hunk trampling on her heart. Now all Dean has to do is protect his sisters, win Eve over, and expose a devious criminal. And he thought winning the heavyweight belt was hard.

My Thoughts:

This book absolutely blew me away. I know. I tend to gush and gush and gush about my favorite books. And this one is certainly added to that list.

It had been on one of my TBR lists for awhile now. But I wasn't sure if I'd like it so I kept hesitating. Then I found a copy at the local library and thought "Hey! I can read the first in the series and see if I like it first!". Brilliant thought. I know. LOL

So that's what I did and I am so glad.

The story is about Dean "Havoc" Conor and reconnecting with his sisters. The back story regarding Dean and his family is heartbreaking. The fact these siblings were separated was a tragedy and what they each went through and how they dealt with their reunion seemed as realistic as a fiction novel could get. Dean fought his brotherly feelings, his anger sometimes clouding his judgement as he struggled with his new emotions. He also had to protect himself. Or so he thought.

One of the best parts of the books though was Gregor. Although he was a fellow fighter and wanted a match with Dean, he was also his friend. And he was also funny, strong, protective and fell hard for a certain woman in the book. Their courtship was cute, as was Dean's reaction to it. I'm not going to reveal who Gregor's love interest is, you'll have to read it to find out. But it was nicely done and didn't feel out of place with the rest of the story.

Okay, now on to the main characters-Dean and Eve. These two met and there was a definite spark between them. They didn't even know who the other was (Eve was Cam -one of Dean's sister's- best friend) but they knew they wanted each other. And wanted each other badly. When the connection is made, although there is a bit of hesitation from Eve, Dean is very convincing and the two explore their relationship. So many romances have the main characters waffling back and forth, pushing and pulling at each other. This wasn't the case in Causing Havoc and this was refreshing.  And the intimate scenes between Eve and Dean? Well, let's just say that Lori Foster can write a sex scene that can burn up the pages with it's intensity.

The plot itself, involving some mysterious things that start to happen when Dean arrives in town and reunites with his sister, isn't something that was difficult to figure out. By the time I was at the half way mark I was able to narrow the baddie down to two people. I will say that I was leaning towards the wrong person by the end, but I didn't mind this. I liked the surprise. The only real issue I had with this book was with Cam's wanna be fiance. He really annoyed me and of all the characters, I felt he was very cartoon-like. Whenever he had dialogue all I could think about was the guy from Popeye who was always trying to get his girl. Ya know who I'm talking about-that Bluto guy. Because of this, I was very surprised by the ending and how things worked out with Cam and Roger.(Again, I won't say what that ending was so as to not spoil it. You'll just have to read it to find out!)

Here are some of the purchase/informational links for the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Goodreads

So, have you read CAUSING HAVOC? What did you think? Is this a book you think pick up? Are there any other books out there with "fighter" Heroes I should check out? Let me know in the comments! 

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment