Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A New Place to Write

I have found a writing sanctuary which I can't get enough of lately. Heck, it's even becoming a place where I get a lot of my work done.  I live in a pretty old home, one that has been in my family since it was built about 100 years ago (maybe a bit older...I can never remember the exact year).  My grandfather's aunt lived here and raised him and his brothers here (along with her three children) when my great grandmother died.  Anyways I moved in a few years ago and have been slowly updating things, while also keeping much of it the same (it has the same moldings, inside doors and floors, even some amazing column things that separate the dining and living rooms...) It's been a lot of work, but worth it in so many ways.  

Anyways, back to my point.  One of the rooms I hadn't really gotten to doing much with was the fully enclosed front porch.  A door from the living room leads onto it and it has semi-new windows all around it, with a door at the center which leads to the front yard.  It needed (and needs) work though, and recently I decided to start in on it.  The ceiling needed fixing (which is done) and it needed painting (something I am still working on) and I need to get some new carpeting or something out here.  But the past few days I have focused on the clutter: going through it, organizing, cleaning, scrubbing and vacuuming.  There was a table and chair out there that was rarely used and after clearing it and scrubbing it clean, I now have a workable space where I can write, listen to music, get some work done, or just stare out the window (or a combination thereof!).  Either way, I am really starting to enjoy it and have gotten quite a bit of writing done out there.

Once it's painted and 'ready' for public showing, I will post some pictures, but until then all I have for you is my ROW80 mid-week check in.  Here's my progress:  


Writing:  On track for the week so far.  I've had the afternoons off lately which has been a huge help in getting my writing done.  Sunday I only got a minimal amount in; Monday it was just about 3500 words for the whole day; and Tuesday 993 . 


Reading:   My goal had been one book in 2 weeks-I read two books in three days last week.  So I changed this goal to: reading one book per week.  Well guess what?  I completed that goal last night when I finished Insurgent.  It was...OMG SO FREAKIN GOOD!  How I am going to wait until Fall of 2013 for book 3 I have no idea.  That's a long time to go without Four. *sighs* 

Blogging:  All good on this front. I blogged Monday (When A Character Goes In A Different Direction) and Tuesday (The Awesomeness of Breaking Benjamin).  I probably won't get another post out this week, but I'm happy with two. I am finding it easier to find things to write about and that was one of my goals with the Blog Me Maybe challenge. I wanted to make blogging a habit, and it is certainly becoming that.  

Being Active:  2 out of 5 so far and still have the rest of the week to go.  I have decided to keep up with my increased outdoor activity, and also to try and tame my general fear of nature (mainly bugs, and bees. I hate bees and they seem to not like me so much either).  This week I will be trying to start a small garden of herbs and some easy to care for veggies to go along with the blueberry bushes I started last year, and the ridiculous amount of blackberry bushes that grow on the property. If anyone knows any hints, tips, tricks, blogs, books, etc that could be helpful for my new gardening venture let me know in the comments below!

How about everyone else?  Are you accomplishing what you've set out to do this round?  Good luck this week! 

4 comments:

  1. Your new writing space sounds dreamy, Kat. And old houses.... HMMMM! YUM! (I'm in the middle of trying to convince my husband that we need to move out to Syracuse and into my grandparents' home before it must be sold for the Medicare. Lovely old Civil War Era farm house... with a nature preserve right behind it.)

    You are really whipping through your books! You just finished Insurgent but what were the books you did before that? You're just running through them. (Do you find yourself reading fiction faster than nonfiction?)

    About the gardening? Trellis! Trellis almost anything you can. Do NOT overwater. Freeze blueberries and raspberries on a cookie sheet before putting them in containers. They'll hold their shape for eating later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Syracuse! I live an hour from there LOL! So yus, MOVE HERE! Thanks for the gardening tips; I have some old trellis' in the garage I was gonna toss (they've been in there forever) but I will use them for this new project of mine! Divergent was the one I read before that, and I forget the name of the other. I added it to Goodreads though. I do tend to read fiction faster than non-fiction, especially if the story is good. If I can't get into it, I struggle though.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've done very well with your goals and your house sounds wonderful. I, too, once lived in an old house and enjoyed what little restoration I did accomplish. It is such a fulfilling experience.

    Making blogging a habit is a bit of a challenge. I suspect habit comes with comfort so frequency plays a considerable role. Good for your posting twice a week; I find that admirable.

    Best to you this week.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karen! Yeah I am thinking that after May I will likely get one non update post in a week and the two ROW80 ones. I want to focus on getting my WiP done by July 1st so I will be making that a priority!

      Delete