Thursday, May 3, 2012

Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Thursday prompts for the Blog Me Maybe blogfest are:  May I tell you something about someone else.  So it might seem weird that I have a book review posted, but well this day of the blogfest is all about letting the light shine on someone (or something) else, and I think today, that light should be on Khaled Hosseini, the author of A Thousand Splendid Suns.  

First let me back up and explain something.  This post has been a long time coming.  I had picked this book for the March meeting of book club-yes, I said March.  Whoever the host is gets to pick the book, and let me tell you I had a hella time picking one out of the stack that I have.  I was literally on my floor going through them all when a friend of mine suggested it.  I jumped on it since it was a title I had been planning to read for some time but just had never gotten around to.  I was worried that the group wouldn't be to into it, since the prior few months the books that had been chosen were good, just not...how do I say this? They were more like a beach read in terms of content.  Easy, fun , but nothing too serious that really made you think.  And I'm not saying that is a bad thing--I read to escape too and love fun reads (you should see my TBR pile!) but sometimes something heavier is in order.  And this book is that, in a fantastic, eye opening sort of way. 

The book starts off in Afghanistan, around 1959, and the look given of the country is so different from the Afghanistan we hear of today.  Or at least the one that I always pictured.  The descriptions are rich and colorful, vibrant even, providing a view of the country which I had never, ever imagined.  Through the eyes of two women, the author paints a picture of a country, and people, that were fighting for its right to decide their own fate.  Eventually, the years of chaos and war allowed extremist groups to take over and we all  know what happened after that.  One of the many issues that has plagued the country and its people is the repeal the rights of women and those who did not adhere to the governments extreme political, social and religious views.  This book shows the progression of the loss of these rights, and the reader is given about 40 years worth of history of a country, seen through the eyes of some of the most vulnerable people in that society-women. The evolution of this fragile country through the eyes of these women and children whose lives were affected is often difficult and heartbreaking to read, but also truly inspiring.  The resilience and love of the female characters, for that which they held close and for their country was astonishing.  And what they would do for each other in order to just survive, what they sacrificed... it literally took my breath away at times.


Khaled Hosseini presents a beautiful portrait of women fighting for their lives -literally- and for love, among a country devastated by war from the 1960s onward.  Full of heartbreak and hope, this book, in my opinion, is a must read.  

4 comments:

  1. I agree that it´s a must read. This book really made me pause and made me tear up. So much pain, so much strength, so many emotions! How did the book club discussion go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went really well! Everyone really enjoyed it, which was surprising because we always have one or two that never like what we pick! We talked about it for almost the entire time and the overall consensus was that it was the best book club we've had thus far! :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to read this book. I always enjoy discovering books set outside of North America and Western Europe, particularly when they're historical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I highly highly highly recommend it. It is so beyond excellent! I learned so much that I just never knew before. I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

      Delete