Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Only Thing Holding Me Back...Is Me

I feel like I've been run over by a truck. I'm achy, moody, and as you can see, just a tad whiny.  And the freezing cold weather isn't helping.  Yesterday it was in the high 30s.  By the end of next week it's supposed to be in the 70s.  I wish the weather would make up it's darn mind!   It also doesn't help that I am starting to feel the pressure of the end of the semester along with some other things going on. I had what perhaps could be some good news on the hunt for a full time teaching position this week, but it would mean a major move, and a lot of change, if it works out.  But, like the title says, the only thing holding me back is me and frankly, I am sick of getting in my own way.  The end of the week finished on a less than fantastic note (completely unrelated to the job possibility) but as I look forward into this week, I just need to focus on the positive, glass half full, and all that. Progress is progress, even when it involves making tough choices.  Right?

One of the positives I am focusing on is the the Blog Me Maybe challenge that will be starting on Tuesday.  I mentioned this in my  Wednesday Check In and worked yesterday on my draft posts to get myself organized.  I managed to finish my draft posts, get a few more new ideas down, and will be working on another one this morning before I dive back into the world of academia for the day.  I have found a way to incorporate the Sunshine Award that Em gave me and the 7 Facts tag that Em and Lauren passed on to me into the blogfest too.  This is a total bonus since I really want to get those out and pass them on to some other writers and bloggers!

As for ROW80 and my goals, this week has been a mixed bag of results.

Writing:  Only got in about 2.0 hours but the time I got in was productive. I knew I had to work on scene arrangement (moving two, and adding two others) in the beginning of the WiP.  I was able to get that done which resulted in a decent word count as well.  I'm happy with where the story is, and where it's going, though the direction has changed slightly.  I had to make a few really tough choices about where these characters are headed which was tough.  I will talk more about this soon, but suffice it to say, this main character has me on an interesting ride.


Research:  My goal this round has been 6 hours a week on my research papers and I killed this one, finishing two of the 4 essays, getting 90% of the third one done, and finishing the research on the 4th one.  This week I will be trying to average about 3 hours a day to finish things up and study.  May 9th is going to be here before I know it.


Exercise: Epic Fail.  I worked out one measly day. So much for making up for last week's disaster!  I have got to get back on track here, I just don't know if I will be able to before next week  Between work, school and a busy weekend upcoming, time will be in short supply!

So to pull me out of my funk I'm going to listen to some upbeat rock music.  Sick Puppies oughta do the trick!  I love this song and considering the cross roads I find myself at, it's fitting.
 



Hope everyone's week went well and see you around the ROW!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Do you know why you're holding yourself back? Often times we have to figure that answer out in order to get past ourselves. Overall looks like you're doing well. Don't let the exercise get to you. If you're like me, that takes more motivation and energy than writing does. Use the time you have but also make sure some of that time is "you" time so you can breathe. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Sick Puppies - I've seen them in concert three times :)

    I hope you get that 70 degree weather soon! I'm sure the cold weather doesn't help motivate you to exercise. It never helps me.

    You still got on writing time - and that's fantastic. Change can be a very good thing, so maybe it's time to get out of your way and take a new path. If you're really excited about the job prospect, I wish you the very best of luck in getting it!

    Hope this week is warmer and super productive!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete