Saturday, April 14, 2012

If You've Never Heard Mumford & Sons...Read On. Seriously, You Know You Want To...

So I haven't mentioned any inspiring music of late, but honestly, at the part I am at in my WiP, well frankly it is rather dark so the music is...a bit of a downer. Don't get me wrong, I love it because it it is inspiring the main character to do all sorts of crazy stuff as she spirals, but I guess I am not ready to go through that playlist just yet and pick out just one or two songs to share.  Soon I will, but until then...

For this week, I decided to go back to a song that I've listened to regularly for about a year now. Some of you may have heard of Mumford & Sons, if not, I highly recommend giving them a listen. In my opinion (for whatever that is worth) they are making some of the best music I've heard in a long, long time.  Much of their music references literary ideas/themes/etc, including but not limited to Shakespeare, The Odyssey and Plato's Allegory of the Cave.  I mean, seriously, whoever can make those kind of references in today's musical culture, well I give major props to the band for doing so and making it all sound so damn lovey! (It also blew my students away that such a "cool band" would sing about "old stuff like that".)  The title of their album, and one of the songs, Sigh No More, also has a supposed literary reference to it, but I will let you guys figure that one out! :)   Anyways, here is the song that inspired this post:

 "The Cave" by Mumford and Sons


If you like "The Cave", try out Winter Winds and Little Lion Man (accoustic version)--two other amazing songs by these guys.  And for all you nerds like me, below is a portion of the song that they wrote for the 2011 film adaptation for Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. It gives me the shivers.



Seriously, I cannot explain just how much I adore these guys.  I could listen to them all day, and often do!  Hope you guys enjoy the tunes!



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you have profiled them! I was a little on the fence when they first came out, mostly because my friends made fun of them and their use of banjos and fiddles and the like, but one day I sat down and just listened to the album, and I realized how brilliant it is.

    Their literary references never fail to impress me, especially all of the ones that they make to John Steinbeck's book, East of Eden (one of my favs). They really are a wonderful band, and I am dying for a new album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I keep waiting to see when it is coming out, I'm so anxious! :) And their song, "The Enemy" from Wuthering Heights, is just amazing but I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere. I need to check itunes again!

      Delete