Friday, October 12, 2012

Pardon The Interuption

I gave up watching the news a couple weeks ago due to an incredible burn out on election coverage (see the post here) and the ridiculous lies and misrepresentations BOTH parties are involved in this election cycle. However, I did cave and, during a moment last night where sleep would not come, I watched the replay of the VP debate. Seriously bad idea and I'm starting to think that moment of sleeplessness was also a moment of insanity.

I won't go into my specific political views other than to say that, my political view is one where individuals shouldn't push their political views on others. I feel the same way about religion. You believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I want to believe. You want to be a Democrat, Republican, Independent  Green party (whatever that is) or start a new party to elect the Geico Gecko as President (this may be me at this point. I seriously F-ing hate politics) more power to ya. Just don't tell me what to believe or try to win points with me using stupid, empty, nonsensical facts that pander to only your side. I am not an idiot.

That being said, I do have to comment about VP Biden's performance last night in terms of style. He's a lawyer, as I am. So I expected his style to be, strong, but also humble and respectful.  As a lawyer you learn to respect the adversary, even if you don't agree with and even if instances where you loathe that person and wish they were anywhere but in your universe, let alone your vicinity. Because of the need to do this, you learn through debates, oral arguments and trials, that decorum and style is key. This is especially true when one has to argue before a judge or jury. Basically, the idea is to avoid looking like...well to avoid looking the way Biden looked last night.

Mr. Biden was rude. He kept interrupting  chuckling, smiling, and acting ridiculous. He certainly wasn't acting like I would except a lawyer, who served in the Senate for many years and now is the sitting VP of the United States to act. Even when I muted the sound he still looked bad. It was kind of embarrassing to watch.

Some people may think Biden was aggressive and they liked that about him. But for me, he came off as arrogant and thinking he was better than his opponent (and for that matter everyone else who might dare to disagree with him.)  I don't need or want aggression, a lack of humility and someone acting like I'm a moron. I want truth from both sides.  I want things to get better. And sadly I got the impression that whether I vote for Obama, Romney, the Geico Gecko, or the man in the moon, that isn't going to happen.

Is it me, or do they all (i.e. politicians and news media types) talk to us like we're stupid? Anyone else think our fore fathers are spinning in their graves at the state of our Union? I swear I feel like I need to take a shower in bleach to cleanse me after the mudslinging theatrics from both sides last night. I am going back to enjoy my self-imposed hiatus from it all. At this rate, I don't think I'll ever come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment