Thursday, October 25, 2012

Books, Books Everywhere

I just found a ton of books (paperbacks) that I have yet to read piled high on my bookshelf. Seriously like, I found at least 15 (and that was just on ONE of my bookshelves!). *starts pulling at hair in distress*

I can only surmise that, since I very rarely buy books in paper format anymore, that these were purchases made pre-Nook color. And for whatever reason, they've been sitting on my shelf since then. But, whenever I bought them doesn't really matter. What matters is that I need to read them. And then I need to read the books on my Nook (of which there are a lot) and on my tablet via the Amazon Kindle app (of which there are only a few since I only go to Amazon if they are exclusive there and I have a gift certificate.)

As you might have guessed, I have no will power when it comes to buying books. When I see one I want (especially if it's by an author I love or in a series I am reading) and it's reasonably priced I can't help myself from snapping it right up. (And I add in the 'reasonably priced' bit because of my previous rant about book prices which can be found HERE. I still refuse to pay 12.99 for an eBook  Even if I was a freaking millionaire and had oodles of cash sitting around, I wouldn't do it. I just cannot justify paying that much for ONE eBook.)

Anyways, back to the problem at hand: book buying.  In order to fix this issue, starting November 1st, I am going to limit my book purchases (if I make any) to two books per month, or monetarily speaking, no more than $20 bucks per month spent on books. And since I gave up buying tea in the morning on my way to work and I gave up once a week take out, in the end I will end up saving money. (And that savings, even though small, will go into my vacation fund.)

Some might ask why don't I just stop buying more books until I am done with what I have.  Well, I have a simple answer for this. I am weak. I just cannot go cold turkey and I know it would be an epic fail. I'm addicted people. I would need Chantix for books to accomplish this. Or a 12 step program like Book Buyers Anonymous.

So, now I have to go through the books that need reading and find some order to the chaos.  Once I do that, I foresee many late nights in my future as I work on whittling down this pile. But then, what better way to spend the evenings than curled up with a good book?

No comments:

Post a Comment