Saturday, March 10, 2012

Whatcha Listening To?

I am obsessed with music. I always have it on--and I mean always. From the time I wake up in the morning to the time I go to bed, unless I am in a meeting for work, or teaching, I have it going, even if it's just on low in the background. I think it has to do with my grandmother's love for music-when I was a kid I used to spend a lot of time at her house and she and my grandpa always had music on.  The type of music they liked was what I used to call "oldies" but it was still music.  My dad was always listening to music too; or he was  singing; or both.  Although I didn't mind my grandparents when they listened to music (mainly cause I wasn't stupid enough to tell my grandparents to NOT listen. That would have gotten me grounded for sure).  But when it was my dad singing, that was a different story. I for some reason hated it.  Of course, it didn't help that he did it when my friends were around.  Talk about mortifying!  There was nothing worse than hearing your dad singing a Johnny Cash song while your having a sleepover and your trying to concentrate on boys, makeup, New Kids on the Block, all while watching scary movies and drinking kool-aid.

So back to the point of all this: I LOVE music and listen A LOT. I sing and dance to it while hanging around the house, even while vacuuming or doing the dishes; and if you pass me in the car, although I may have a hands free cell phone thingy in my ear, that likely isn't me on the phone.  No, it's probably  me singing like a fool.

Singing and listening to music lifts my spirits; it provides me with inspiration, especially when it is on short supply; and when I am stressed it helps me even out and just relax.   Given my stress levels of late, I have been finding a lot of new music and artists lately and wanted to share, and figured what better place than my blog!  I hope to do this semi-regularly as my taste in music tends to vary quite a bit (from 50 Cent to Micheal Buble and everything in between and beyond!) and hopefully someone will hear something new they like, or perhaps have a suggestion for something I should check out.

For now, here is the song that I've had on replay this week on my MP3 player.  This is Fitz and the Tantrums "Don't Gotta Work It Out".  They have been getting a pretty good rotation it seems on VH1, but if you've haven't heard of them, I would definitely suggest checking out the video below or via Zune, Spotify, ITunes or wherever it is you check out new musical talent.  Hope you enjoy and as always, feel free to leave a comment or suggestion to let me know what you're listening to, or think I should be!


No comments:

Post a Comment