Sunday, January 27, 2013

Forward Progress: A ROW80 Update

On Wednesday I re-focused my goals just a bit to fit into an added goal to my plan for 2013. You can see that post HERE if you'd like.  As it stands, since making this slight change, I've been pretty happy with my progress since then.

The biggest change, in terms of writing, was to stop  my weekly word count goal. Instead, I am focusing on one of my novels at a time. As I noted in the goal post for Round 1, one of my goals was to prioritize my WIPs since I have so many half-finished or near done. I kept jumping from WIP to WIP and not really finishing any. This had to stop. So, this week, I dove into edits of Finding Home. Before Wednesday, I had been doing these a scene at a time and it was slow going since I wasn't consistent with the time I was putting in. But now that this is my focus, I made a large dent in the edits.

And since I am mentioning edits, I have to give a shout out to my friend Elli, who has made the whole editing  process hilarious. So while many see edits as a tedious process, she has made it a blast with her comments. Not to mention she is most excellent at it. Also on the plus side, she hasn't made me cry. Yet. :D
  • Send out three resumes/applications this week-I sent out 1. But I took a bunch of time to update my resume and get transcripts together. So...progress! 
  • Continue edits and revisions of Finding Home and Wanted: Progress is being made as noted above.  
  • Read/comment on a min. of 5 blogs: I only hit a couple this week, so I will make up for it this week. 
  • Reply to comments on this blog: Done.
  • Blog a min. of one book review: Done! I reviewed Come Away With Me by Kristen Proby. It is a contemporary romance and I hope to read the second in the series later this week should time allow. My complete review can be found HERE.
  • Workout 3 times for the week: To quote Meatloaf, "2 out of 3 ain't bad!"
  • Check in on Sunday for ROW80: Done
As for next week, I am adding another goal. I am going to take a day (or several hours of a day anyways) to focus on a collaborative novel I've been slacking on. And seriously, I am giving permission to my co-author to smack the hell out of me for it. So from this point forward, one day per week will be focused on this project. I have a lot of catching up to do, so if I can set aside every week for it I think I can make up ground.

So, next week my goals are:
  • Finish edits on Finding Home
  • Set asideseveral hours of a day to work on collaborative project
  • Read/comment on a min. of 5 blogs
  • Reply to comments on this blog
  • Blog min. of one book review
  • Check in on Sunday for ROW80
  • Send out three resumes/applications this week
  • Workout 3 times for the week
That's it for me. It's been a busy, yet productive week and I hope this week continues that trend. How are you doing? Are you hitting your goals? Have a great week and good luck!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know where you are heading and that is so important! I need me some of that! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am trying to stay on track. It is hard though. So many shiny things distract me (and plot bunnies. Soooooo distracting! LOL).

      Delete
  2. Good progress this week :D I love that you've decided to finish something and that you sound so serious about it! I need to get there too. Hopefully it will happen simultaneously with both projects...wouldn't that be wonderful?! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took awhile for me to get to the point where I could find the courage to, in the words of Nike, Just Do It. Like I said to Em, so many things would distract me and I would get off track. If I ever want to get anything done I need to (1) not get distracted and (2) stick to the plan. Both are so hard though!

      Delete
  3. Loved the idea of focusing more on the goal than on the word count. I, too, have chosen this approach. I still use word count as ONE of my daily measures, but I'm more focused on the questions: Did I actually produce something today that puts me closer to one of my goals? Another great tool for screening out distractions and sticking to the plan is to write down what I'm doing as I go along. I can tell right away if I'm getting off track and adjust.

    Have a great week and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete