Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Sunday Post and Stacking the Shelves [9]: The Week in Review

 
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. From Kimba's website, "this meme was inspired in part by ~ In My Mailbox~ It's a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog. This is your news post, so personalize it! Include as much as you want or as little. Be creative, it can be a vlog or just a showcase of your goodies."



I was having such a great week until my car broke down on Thursday and I had to take it into the shop. Then it was 48 hours of freaking out, crying and more freaking out because I was worried it would be thousands of bucks (that's how scary the break down was) to fix it.

Well, either my mechanic is a genius or I have no clue about cars. And honestly, I think both of those are true. While the repairs put a dent in the wallet (as in, no more books until next pay day), they weren't nearly as bad as I'd thought they'd be. Thank God.

Also, and as an important side note, the mechanics working on my car were seriously hot. I couldn't stop staring. And when one spoke to me I don't remember actually forming words to respond. I probably looked like a moron but their hotness overrode the circuits in my brain. So, although it was an inconvenience and I was super upset about the car, there was, at least, a plus in the man-candy that I got to look at. :D

Anyways, after the Great Car Break-Down of 2013, I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend where I could read, prep some reviews and work on finishing the transfer my blog to WP. This didn't happen. Instead, yesterday I went to camp for the day and today it's the start of football season which means a party at my sister's house. Not much reading has been done, sadly, but I have had a great time with the family. Enough about all that though. Here's a break down of what was, and what's to come, on the blog:

BOOKS READ/REVIEWED LAST WEEK


ARC Review: The Companions by R.A. Salvatore: this was such a fun book and the intro to what is loking to be a great adventure. The writing was rich and the world building was both fantastic. I hadn't read any of the earlier works about Drizzt, but this book worked well anyways. I never felt lost about who characters were or anything. Check out my review for more info.

The Chief by Monica McCarty: Anyone who comes to this blog knows that I love highlanders. So a couple weeks ago when I picked up the first three in the Highland Guard series (in paperback, they were on sale at BN), I was excited to start. This book blew me away. It was gritty, real and though there is of course romance, the author doesn't shy away from the realities of war at the time. It's also got some real life history in it which was nice to see. I love when author's do research and include it in their works. Check out my review for more info and purchase links.

I also reviewed Say No To Joe? by Lori Foster on Goodreads. I was surprised how much I liked this book because I certainly wasn't expecting to fall in love with the hero. But I did. :D

What I'm Reading/On the Blog This Week:


In His Command by Rie Warren
Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson
Last Chance Summer by Hope Ramsay

Last week I had these same books up there, plus one other. The 'plus one other' is the only one I managed to finish reviewing. There just are not enough hours in the day! *head-desks repeatedly*


Stacking The Shelves:


This meme was started by Tynga at Tynga's Reviews. The link is to the official launch page that explains what Stacking the Shelves is all about and where to sign up. Basically, it's a weekly meme where you post what you've bought, borrowed, and/or read, throughout the week. To quote Tynga, "you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"


Well, I bought quite a few books this week, mainly due to some awesome sales that were going on so I'm going to jump right into it: (Note: I can't show covers because Blogger is being difficult, sorry!)

A bunch of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books were on sale (varying between 1.99 and 2.99) so I snapped up a bunch of those:

Night Pleasures (Dark Hunters #2)
Night Embrace (Dark Hunters #3)
Dance With the Devil (Dark Hunter #4)
Kiss of the Night (Dark Hunter #5)
Night Play (Dark Hunter #6)

Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor Series also was on sale (many for 1.99):

Lucky In Love (Lucky Harbor #4)
At Last (Lucky Harbor #5)

I also picked up: Monster in My Closet by R.L. Naquin because the blurb sounds awesome. I don't always make that kind of impulse buy but from what I've heard, it's worth it!

I picked up the following as freebies as well:

Bluegrass State of Mind by Kathleen Brooks
The Shy Bride by Lucy Monroe

And just an fyi, Amazon's daily deal, today only, are 8 of the Sullivan series' books by Bella Andre. This is a great contemporary romance series, so if you're looking for something sweet and with the right amount of sexy, you might want to give these a try! Here's the link for Amazon: The Sullivan Series by Bella Andrehttps://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=lofoinfi-20&l=ur2&o=1 (Remember: check the prices of ALL these books before one clicking. I've no idea how long the sales are on for!) Have a great week everyone!

(Sorry about the weird font for the second half of this post. Blogger is being absolutely ridiculous today and won't sort itself out. I've tried everything but, yeah...I'm giving up now. Will try to fix it tomorrow!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment