Sunday, April 7, 2013

Writing, Reading & Reviewing, Oh My!

It's the first Sunday check in for the second round of ROW80 and time for my Week In Review post. I love these posts because I can look back and see that, yeah, I have gotten things done.  Sometimes I am so busy during the week I don't take stock of it all. So having a day to do that helps me see that I am moving forward, even if it is slowly. Of course there are still things to be done, but hopefully I can keep up the momentum next week.

So let's review what I've been up to this week. I reviewed two books this week on the blog:

Dirty by Megan Hart: This book took me by surprise. I mean, here I thought this would be just another romance with a HEA. Boy was I wrong. Sure there is a love story but talk about gut wrenching...holy hell. This threw me for a loop but it was so worth it.

Own The Wind (Chaos, #1) by Kristen Ashley: This was a fantastic book and totally lived up to my expectations. Loved it and Shy is seriously one of my favorite heroes ever!

I also reviewed three other books on Goodreads. One of those books was a real gem that I had on my kindle app. I reviewed Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid on Goodreads. If anyone is looking for a well-written, sweet, and hysterically funny book, this might be for you. I absolutely loved it.  I have been gushing about this book to fellow readers all week. Seriously, I don't think I have been this thrilled about a new author in a long time.

I also found via someone's tweet a post that anyone who is a writer and/or nearing the time to publish -however you choose to do it-, or even if you have already published something, may find very helpful. Cara McKenna wrote it over at Wonk-o-Mance and there is a lot of good advice there but most important, I think, is where she talks about balancing the author-stuff (my words) and the writing, and not letting the author stuff get in your way, or get you down.

Lastly, here's how I did on my ROW80 weekly goals:
  • Write every day: Done!! I was surprised how easy it was to get back in swing of writing every day but I did it. At least this week I did. I am on track, so far, with my still untitled Camp NaNo project. But not only that, I've also worked about one-third of the way through my first round of revisions on Wanted.  As I've gone through both WiPs I have also added to my outlines where necessary and updated information. Now if only the plot bunnies would go hide in the forest until I am done with these WiPs everything would be perfect! 
  • Review a minimum of three books per week (either posted here or on Goodreads): Done! 
  • Post Sunday ROW80 Update: Also, done! 
  • Catch up on all grading by the end of the week: I'm all caught up other than papers that students handed in on Friday. I will be working on those this afternoon so I can start Monday with a clean slate. Hopefully.
  • Work out once per week:  I did get a short walk in. I am still not at 100% from my bout of pneumonia so I am still taking it slow. Doctor's orders and all that. 
At this rate my Round 2 goal of finishing revisions and edits of Wanted will be done in no time. I am not moving up my finish date though. Right now it's set for the end of the round and I will keep it there. This way I don't feel the pressure and I just do a little bit of revisions/edits each day.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?  As for next week's ROW80 goals, they will remain the same.

I hope everyone is having a successful ROW80 and for those participating in Camp NaNo, see you around the camp fire. I'll bring the s'mores! :D 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your progress this week!

    Thanks for the link to the Cara McKenna post - I'm not even close to jumping into the publishing game yet, but I have a friend who's just started querying, so she may find it useful.

    I may have to check out some of those books you reviewed also - they look like fun.

    Best wishes for the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been a busy bee! I am amazed at the rate you can obviously read at!

    Have a great week and fingers crossed you are able to write every day again! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kat!

    Just popping over to return the visit for ROW80 - it looks like you're having a busy week!

    Hope you feel better soon, and good job with the grading... Have a great and productive week to come, and I'll touch base again next Sunday!

    Au revoir!
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job hitting all your goals, Kat!! Good luck this week with all the reading and writing and teaching and working! (I don't know how you do it all!) I'll be at that campfire later today if you're around :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Jealous!!! Everybody has done so well at writing every day this week. Oh well, hopefully next week I break through that barrier. :)

    Good luck next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, goodness! Thanks for the shout-out (and for the gushing). I'm beyond honored that you liked my book.

    ReplyDelete