Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book Review: Dirty by Megan Hart (Dan and Elle, #1)

Title: Dirty (Dan and Elle, #1)
Author: Megan Hart
Publisher: Spice
Publication Date: March 1, 2007

My rating: 4 stars out of 5

From Goodreads:

This is what happened... I met him at the candy store.

He turned and smiled at me and I was surprised enough to smile back. This was not a children's candy store, mind you--this was the kind of place you went to buy expensive imported chocolate truffles for your boss's wife because you felt guilty for having sex with him when you were both at a conference in Milwaukee.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

I've been hit on plenty of times, mostly by men with little finesse who thought what was between their legs made up for what they lacked between their ears.

Sometimes I went home with them anyway, just because it felt good to want and be wanted, even if it was mostly fake.

The problem with wanting is that it's like pouring water into a vase full of stones. It fills you up before you know it, leaving no room for anything else. I don't apologize for who I am or what I've done in--or out--of bed.

I have my job, my house and my life, and for a long time I haven't wanted anything else.

Until Dan. Until now.


My Thoughts:

This book was not was I thought it would be. Here I thought I would be reading a story about two damaged people finding each other and their HEA.

Uh, yeah. Not so much.

What I got instead was one of these most heart-wrenching, emotionally gripping novels I've read in a long time.

Sure there, is sex. And some it is kinky. (Okay, a lot of it is.) But this book is not about sex. It's not just about Elle and Dan and their journey together. No. It's more than that. It's about a heroine who is so badly broken, so scared, and so in need of love and the journey she has to take to love not only Dan, but herself as well.

This was a romance but not a traditional one. this was hard. this was ugly. and it had little to do with the hero who was fantastic. it had t do with a broken heroine...a truly broken heroine...who had to find herself and fix herself before she could find her happiness.

Dan was a great hero. A freaking saint for what he had to go through to get through Elle's walls. Elle hated herself. And I mean she really, seriously, absolutely hated herself. She was not your typical heroine who was 'fixed' at a glance or touch by the hero.

This was hard to read but well worth it. I've read other books by Megan Hart and I love how she matches a love story with emotional, gut wrenching plot. Her books are not easy reads. They touch on difficult topics that most people don't want to talk about and Dirty is no different. Child abuse, sexual abuse, suicide, alcoholism, cutting are just a few of the topics touched on in this book. It's not comfortable. It's not all rainbows and unicorns. In fact, there are very few light, happy moments where the over-arching -and heavy- theme of the book is not present. But in the end, to see ELle grow and begin to love herself, the difficult journey to Dan and Elle's HEA was more than worth it.

This is the second book by Megan Hart I've read and I really like her voice. The writing is tight and the editing was well-done. I am looking forward to reading more books by this author.  Note: Dirty does not end in a cliffhanger.  (I hate cliffhangers. Loathe them actually. So trust me, I would tell you if it did.)  There is a novella length story about Dan and Elle and what happens after the end of this book. I think it's a sort of epilogue though I'm not entirely sure since I haven't read it. Yet. :D

Here are the purchase links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*


No comments:

Post a Comment