Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: Hard Evidence by Pamela Clare (I-Team #2)

Title: Hard Evidence (I-Team #2)
Author: Pamela Clare
Publisher: Berkley Publishing
Publication Date: October 1, 2006

My Rating: 3 out of 5

From Goodreads:

Investigative reporter Tessa Novak witnesses the murder of a teenage girl--and believes Julian Darcangelo committed the crime. But Julian is actually an undercover FBI agent on the trail of a human trafficker and killer. Tessa's report has brought them closer than either one of them could have imagined--and put both of their lives in danger.



My Thoughts:

Before I get into the issues I had with the second book in the I-Team series, let me just say that I did like this book. I really did. Three stars means, for me, I Liked It and I Will Read More of This Series/By This Author. Three stars does not mean that I didn't like it or wouldn't recommend it. In fact it means the opposite. It was steamy and the mystery was well written. The suspense element was there and I definitely stayed up late reading this because I wanted to see what would happen next. So three stars definitely means I liked it and am really looking forward to jumping into the third book soon!

Okay, now on to the issues I did have with the book.  First, Tessa cried all the freaking time.  I get it. The story was upsetting, she was having PTSD from what she witnessed and even if she hadn't seen what she did, having a bunch of crazy people after you and trying to kill you, well it's upsetting. And honestly, a heroine that cries a lot never bothers me. I mean, people, I cry at commercials and Lifetime movies, so I am not one to talk. But for some reason, Tessa really got on my nerves with the crying all the time.   After awhile I wanted to kick her! I think that I could have handled it if, when she was crying, she didn't suddenly (and sometimes inexplicably) flip flop in the next second and be all "I can do this. I can be strong." And then start blubbering again.

I also took issue with her righteous indignation that the cops held the documents for a week before releasing them. She kept going on about how it was wrong etc, but I mean, they weren't doing it to obfuscate justice. they were doing it to give them a lil bit of time to stop the killer and oh yeah, save her freaking life! I mean, a little gratitude and understanding would be the nice thing to do. Or at least something like "I know Chief and Julian, you don't want me to end up raped and murdered nor do you want to give the real bad guy the heads up your closing in. So I'll give you X amount of days to do that before I have to release the information via the paper." Cause if someone was gunning for me, and my life was in serious danger, then I'd do this. It seems more realistic than acting like a righteous defender of freedom of the press and then, because of that attitude nearly getting the people trying to save your life killed. (Yeah, that part really pissed me off. She knew, she knew, not to go there. And she did it anyways. Knowing what could happen. This was a TSTL moment that I had a hard time getting past.)

Now let's talk about Julian. I liked him a whole heckuva lot.  Julian hated himself for awhile and I understood why he did. He had a pretty bad childhood that scarred him. But sometimes he'd say something that really hurt Tessa (the "I'm not a babysitter" really pissed me off) and then they never really talked about it. I mean, I don't remember him apologizing to her. Like at all. Maybe it happened and it was when Tessa was on a crying jag and I missed it (I do admit, I skimmed over some of the crying jags) but I don't remember it. And when he sent the coffee pot back, that bothered me too. It kinda said "nice knowing you", ya know? I know he had to get the task force together but still, it was kind of heartless and made me a tad annoyed with him. But of course, Julian being Julian he made up for this. Eventually. But like so many alpha-type heroes I don't think they know how to speak an apology, I think they give their apologies in orgasms. And far be it from me to complain about this cause ya know, an orgasm, well that's better than any "I'm sorry", isn't it?  *shrugs*

The epilogue was great and was glad to see they didn't rush into babies. Neither of them was ready for that. I also liked to see story-line throughout with Tessa and her mom. Even though I had my issues with this book, it was still well worth the read and I will be reading the rest in the series!

Here are the purchase links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment