Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Review: Extreme Exposure by Pamela Clare

Title: Extreme Exposure (I-Team #1)
Author: Pamela Clare
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: August 2, 2005

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

This book had been on my TBR pile for a really long time. I kept putting it off though, grabbing something else to read instead. Well, after hitting a dry spell where every book I read was getting on my nerves (yes, this happens to even a book addict like me), I decided to hit the romantic suspense route.  I snapped up book one for my Nook and dove in.  I was more than pleasantly surprised as I read. Not only is the romance steamy and the main characters fantastic, but also it is clear that the author researched the complex environmental issues that made up the conflict in the book. Ms. Clare also presented that information in a clear and concise way that added to the story and the relationship between Reece and Kara, instead of detracting from it.

From Goodreads:

Novels such as Carnal Gift and Sweet Release made Pamela Clare's rising star shine. Now, she turns her "impressive" talents to a novel of modern romance - and breathless intrigue...

It's been years since her child's father dumped her, and since then Kara McMillan has kept men at bay - although every day she aches more for a lover's touch. But to get that, the hard-boiled journalist must become vulnerable - a feeling she vowed never to have again.

With his dangerous good looks, charm, and power, Senator Reece Sheridan could have just about any woman he sets his piercing eyes on. But he's intrigued by only one. This Kara, this gutsy investigative reporter, has a sensuality that arouses him to no end. If she's a firebrand in print, he guesses, she must be just as fiery in bed...

But this is no fling. A sudden political scandal - and attempts on Kara's life - could very well drive them apart. Or maybe, just maybe, adversity could draw them into a bond even more intense than their steamy sexual embraces.


My Thoughts:

This book is an intelligent, well thought out mystery with loads of suspense. All this accompanies well written characters and a hot romance between a state senate and reporter. What I really loved about this book is that you could tell the author did great research. It wasn't thrown together with vague summaries of the conflict. There were no plot holes or places where I had to guess what was going on. By the end the loose ends were tied up and it was not only satisfying in how the bad guys were dealt with, but also sweet.

Reece was hot, sexy, strong, and a protector. Kara was a strong, independent, and smart. She struggled to balance single motherhood and her career and the romance was written realistically in how Kara had to somehow try to fit in a personal life as well.

She didn't fight Reece when he tried to help her. This I liked. So often the heroines gets pissed off and has TSTL moments because she doesn't want the Heroes help. In this case Kara was able to have her independence but also graciously accept the help offered by Reece at times.

As I mentioned above, there were no unnecessary info-dumps that took me out of the story. The information presented to the reader was placed in scenes that made sense and had a purpose. Not once did I find myself getting frustrated. This is a well-written, tightly plotted, and suspense filled novel that incorporated a whole lot of sexy in Reece and Kara. Oh and there is a epilogue! *Squeeeeeeee!* That made me so happy! I loves me a well thought out epilogue. :D

I really loved this book and have already read the second book in the series. (Review on that to come soon!) I can't wait to keep reading and see what else happens to the I-Team!  Here are the purchase links for Amazon  and Barnes and Noble.

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment