Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: Never Seduce A Scot by Maya Banks


Title: Never Seduce A Scot
Author: Maya Banks
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication Date: Sept. 25, 2012

Ah. A highlander romance. Nothing better when it's freezing cold outside and I need something to warm me up. But even better than that? A highlander romance where the author takes the story in a different direction and has me wishing the book never ends.

From Goodreads:

Eveline Armstrong is fiercely loved and protected by her powerful clan, but outsiders consider her “touched.” Beautiful, fey, with a level, intent gaze, she doesn’t speak. No one, not even her family, knows that she cannot hear. Content with her life of seclusion, Eveline has taught herself to read lips and allows the outside world to view her as daft. But when an arranged marriage into a rival clan makes Graeme Montgomery her husband, Eveline accepts her duty—unprepared for the delights to come. Graeme is a rugged warrior with a voice so deep and powerful that his new bride can hear it, and hands and kisses so tender and skilled that he stirs her deepest passions.

Graeme is intrigued by the mysterious Eveline, whose silent lips are ripe with temptation and whose bright, intelligent eyes can see into his soul. As intimacy deepens, he learns her secret. But when clan rivalries and dark deeds threaten the wife he has only begun to cherish, the Scottish warrior will move heaven and earth to save the woman who has awakened his heart to the beautiful song of a rare and magical love.


My thoughts:

I read this book over a week ago but I already think I need to do a re-read. It is so, so good. It is a story of love but even more than that is a story of forgiveness. Of two enemy families putting aside their differences (which were huge) and coming together for the sake of the woman they both love. I know that the second book focusing on Bowen is coming out March 19th and I cannot wait.

Let's start with the heroine. Eveline is deaf. No one knows she can't hear. She has learned to read lips and the fact that people think she is "touched" has saved her from a horrible arranged marriage to a very, very bad man. When the King orders her to marry the Laird of an enemy clan she is terrified, but knows she must in order to help her own clan. She resolves to be strong. And a part of her seems happy because she might get to experience the things a normal woman does-marriage and having children. 

And then there is Graeme. Oh he was such a hard man. In so many ways. *snickers* Okay, I will try to be serious here. Graeme was so freaking great. The first time he meets Eveline...I nearly melted. The man was so sweet and so gentle with Eveline. He never blamed her for the feud between their families, or treated her badly. And the part where, when they get to his keep and he brings her (and her things) to her room and then leaves?!  Eveline's reaction is freaking priceless. 

My heart broke several times at the way Eveline struggled for acceptance with Graeme's clan. To those arrogant jerks, not only was she "touched" but she also was the daughter from an enemy clan. She did not have an easy road. And I think I would have given up. But she did what she had to, working her butt off, working towards acceptance from them and wanting them to like her the way Graeme did. (Well, not like her that way exactly, but like her for who she was, not what clan she came from).   

Without giving too much away I just need to say that, the part where tragedy strikes, I was flailing all over the place. I don't think I took a breath when Eveline went all Mama-Bear, protecting Graeme with every ounce of energy she had.  In regards to that evil woman in the book (I won't reveal who she is for those haven't read it), Graeme went easy on her for what she did. And when he dealt with the bad guy (again, won't say who!), just know that I was cheering like the Graeme fan-girl that I am. 

Bottom line, Maya Banks writes a stand out Highlander romance and I will definitely be checking out the rest in this series as well as her other highlander romances. If I could beg her to do one thing it would be to never stop writing these.  

The book is available via Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and probably at other retailers as well. (I only gave the link to the first two. If people want links to other stores in my reviews, let me know in the comments!)

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment