Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Didn't Win the Lottery, But I Did Something Better...

I did something that was way more personally fulfilling. And it was something I had better odds of finishing than winning any 500 million dollar jackpot.  

I FINISHED NANOWRIMO!    

*flails*

Every time I think about this, I freak out. This draft will need some (major) revisions (of course) and I need to finish about eight to ten more scenes to be totally done with the novel, but it proves (to myself) that I can write an insane amount of words that don't totally suck in a short period of time  Finding Home took me so long to write, so long to revise, and still is taking forever to edit (almost a year when all is said and done).  I'd been thinking that I'd never write anything again, or at least never get close to the length of Finding Home. I thought it might just end up being a one-off for me; something I could never replicate. Or that I'd take another year to finish this one. But it didn't take me a year. It took me preparing an outline and engaging in some serious word crushing as I smashed through said outline and now, I have a 'mostly done' draft of Wanted.  

I'm damn proud of myself. And I've had this song in my head: Matthew Wilder's Break My Stride  Seriously, check it out. There is so much 80s hair and fashion goodness in it.  I was only about 6 around the time of this video, but I remember trying to mirror my older sister's fashion sense, which mirrored this video (and many others).  Oh how I loved the 80s.  Anyways, click it. You know you want to. *nudge nudge*  I double dog dare you.  

*dances around while you click away and give in to the temptation to dance along too (or at least sing!)*

Alright, now that the dancing interlude is over, on to my ROW80 update.  My goals last week were:

Finish NaNo! Done!!

Continue slogging though the edits for Finding Home: NaNo sidetracked me, but finishing these edits is my goal this week

Post at least one ROW80 update (either Wed. or Sun): Done

Post a non-ROW80 post for the week: Um, oops.  Forgot about this. But I have found some awesome music the last couple weeks that I hope to share in the next couple weeks.

Get through the pile of files on my desk by Wednesday: I worked through some of this pile. This week, I will get it all done so that I can focus next week on getting the house (and myself) together for the annual holiday guests that descend on my house the week between Christmas and New Years.

Next week my goals remain pretty much exactly the same. Well, they are the same, except for NaNo.  In terms of writing, instead of a word count or time goal, I will be focusing on the editing of Finding Home with the hope (and determination) that these can be finished by next Sunday.  I have other WIPs I could work on, but after the marathon that was NaNo, my brain needs a break and I want to get Finding Home out (whether queried or self-published, I haven't decided yet) before I turn my attention to another WIP. 

Congratulations to everyone who did NaNoWriMo, it was so much fun sprinting with you guys and cheering everyone on as we went through this process. I feel like we climbed Mount Everest, which I guess we did. We climbed the writers version of Mt. Everest! 

I hope everyone is doing well with their goals and good luck this week!

5 comments:

  1. well done on nano - it was fun:) knocking it back into shape is also fun so best of luck with that. Getting the place in order for festivities is a chore I wish i could forgo - but I do like to start new year with a relatively clean slate so like you will have to turn too and get stuck in.

    all the best for coming week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I too like a clean slate for the new year. The next few weeks I think will be a nice breather from the craziness of NaNo and then in January I will buckle down again with a plan (and a new ROW80 round!) :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations :) though I've already said it. Here's to the next project...once you've had a breather.

    Ok, ready now? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! *takes deep breath* Alright, here we go, I am ready. I think. I hope! You just might need to drag me a little bit by my hair if I go to slow. And, by the way, thank you, for everything. I already told you where my focus will be now and can't wait to dive into it starting this afternoon! Here comes Jack! ;D

      Delete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! I joined you for a little dance party . . . in my head at least. :D

    All the best as you make a strong finish to 2012 and look ahead to a brand new year of goals. (One year I'll actually join the NaNo craziness.)

    Again . . . KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete