Saturday, May 25, 2013

Book Review: Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks

Title: Highlander Most Wanted (Montgomerys and Armstrongs #2)
Author: Maya Banks
Publisher:Random House Publishing Group
Publication Date: March 19, 2013

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

From Goodreads

In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.

Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.

My Thoughts:

This story was heartbreaking. What Genevieve went through was absolute hell and the ridicule and torment she endured even from those who also feared Ian was just as horrifying as what he did to her. Not only did no one ever stand up for her, but they blamed her. I wanted to shout, scream, and defend Genevieve against those who would do her harm. I wanted to rail against the injustice of it all. And I wanted her deceased captor and torturer to be killed all over again, only this time, slowly. When an author can bring out that kind of emotion you know she is doing something right.

Bowen's protection of Genevieve was beautiful. He promised to be there for her and he was. He listened to her when she needed to talk and he stood up for her to his brothers. When they separated I thought my heart would truly break. I was as miserable as Bowen was. What he was willing to sacrifice for her well-being was  touching and I loved how it contrasted with the protective, alpha Highlander that he was. He wanted her, he loved her, but he also wanted her to heal.

And the ending...I just need to ask how is it that Ms. Banks always makes me cry in these Highlander romances?! I'm never like this when I read a contemporary (at least not that I can remember) but somehow she is able to bring forth such raw emotion in her highlanders! It's freakin awesome though I had to tell my inquiring nephew that "no, I wasn't crying at your little league game. I had something in my eye." (Just a little white lie to save face in front of his baseball team...)

This series is really well written and I love exploring both families in this series. I am really hoping that this explores all the Brothers' Montgomery and Armstrong because I would love to see them all find happiness. I hope we see more of Talie and Brodie especially! The next book I think is out in September of 2013 according to the author's website though GR has 2014 as a release date. I am really, really hoping for September of 2013 though! This is definitely a series that, for me, is on my "re-reads" shelf of my Nook.

*This book was a self-purchase and I was not in any way compensated for, or even asked, to review this book. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment