Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday ROW80 Update


Things are looking good this week! I am happy with my progress so far, which as of today is:  
  • Writing 1500 words a day--check
  • Activity--two days so far! Woot! Won't likely get to it today, but that's okay-I can still make the 5 day a week goal.
  • Blogging-work in progress.  This goal is more about doing a non-ROW80 blog once a week. I'm shooting to get something out sometime in the next day or two. I won't stick to the same topics every week--it could be anything from tv to music to books to teaching to humorous stuff found around the interwebs.  Bottom line is, I want to have fun writing about it and for it not to seem like a chore. 
  • Commenting--check
  • Twitter and Tweeting--check and check! I am getting better at this, I think. I hope.  The 2 pm word sprints are a definite help! 

My WIP, which is my unfinished NaNo story, is coming along great with the help of Lauren's  2pm word sprints!  I even have found time to edit the first part of it in the evenings.  I've made several changes, additions and deletions to the outline and the WIP itself, but so far I am happy with them all and really like the direction this is moving in.  I feel like the story and the characters have started to have a mind of their own and are leading me on twists and turns I hadn't even thought about when I was outlining!

In yesterday's word sprint I also made a huge decision about who the bad guy is. I've kept many of the characters mysterious, each having their own set of secrets and I thought I had decided on who the baddie would be. But something clicked as I wrote in the word sprint on Tuesday that made me finally decide. It changes A LOT of what is to come in terms of motive and I have to add a few scenes to my outline...but I think it makes it more fun, less predictable, and it just feels right.  Listening to my inner voice as I write has been something I've been working on since the start of ROW80, and it's finally starting to click.  I can't wait to see where this leads for the rest of my characters!

I am also working on a short story which I'm in no rush to finish--just kind of taking my time there and being lazy. I'm not putting pressure on myself to get something done, or out there. I'm just going to write and relax for a while.

Lastly, I am adding at least one reading challenge to my goals.  In catching up on blog reading the other day, I found Tia's post about the Stephen King Project and I literally squealed with delight.  I love Stephen King and this is the perfect excuse to read more of his books. So a big thank you to Tia and to the Stephen King Project!  Now I just have to choose how many books to read and which to read first.  Decisions, decisions...

Hope all of you are doing well on your goals this week.  See you on Twitter, during the afternoon wordsprints, and/or for Sunday's update!

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting how those villains reveal themselves. (They WANT to be found, you know.)

    I've debated adding a reading goal to my ROW80 goals, but I ended up deciding against it. I get too scattered to easily. So ONE goal, but it's modest so that I have time to do those other things off the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being on target as far as your goals go for Row80. I really enjoyed reading about your writing and story process. I found with mine that I had points I wanted to write to but I let my characters fill everything else in. I was amazed at how complicated it was and how it all seemed to just fall into place as if it had already been written and was just waiting for me to put it on paper. Amazing how that works, isn’t it? I love the writing process. Mine is still a WIP, someday it will be done. But then mine is rather lengthy. Good luck on the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the sprints are working out so well for you! I love it when things 'happen' during them and the words are flowing. Hope to join you in some soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've made some fantastic progress - keep up the good work!

    Kelly.
    http://www.blog.co.uk/user/koldham/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job staying on track!! Sounds like you are making great progress, and even more importantly, that you've found tools to help you keep your writing time for writing. I can't work the 2pm sprints into my day, but I love word sprints!! I have been eyeing the twitter wordmongering. And 1k1hr.

    Good luck keeping up the great pace!

    ReplyDelete