Friday, September 28, 2012

I'll Take Less (But Better) Television For $100 Please

I used to be quite the TV fanatic, religiously checking ratings,writing on forums for TV shows and fan-fic sites, and always but always keeping an eye on TV Guide, Zap2It and other TV related websites. But then I started getting bored, and way too busy to devote time to watching it.  Not to mention, the last few years have seen quite a lot of crap being produced for the networks.  Nothing was catching my eye, or what was ended up being cancelled. So about two years ago I went through and purged a lot of the shows I used to watch and cut down considerably on watching TV in general.

This didn't mean I gave up on TV completely. I still watch television and some it is even considered "must see", but I just don't watch a lot of it.  With the new fall TV season starting, I've been re-evaluating what shows I have to watch and record (i.e. the must see shows) this season, but also deleting those shows I can live without. Here are a few of my thoughts on some of those shows I'm sticking with, and some I've given up on.

Sons of Anarchy: Holy hell Kurt Sutter you complete me. I am devastated, yes DEVASTATED, by recent events. I mean, seriously...seriously?! But I get it. It had to be done. It fit...it works...so, although my heart is in pieces, I can't cry for too long. I should be fine by the next episode and whatever surprises this show throws my way.  And as an aside: if anyone told me when this show came out that I would like a show about hot badass bikers, I would have rolled my eyes. Bikers were never even on my radar before Sons.  Now? Even I got myself a Harley tank-top; not to mention my not-so-secret wish to live in warmer climes where hot bikers were plentiful. ;-)  

Revolution: I record this for one reason. Billy Burke. Love him to pieces. Wait, no. My bad. Two reasons. The second being J.J. Abrams whom I've admired since forever. Alias was, and still is, one of my favorite shows. As for Revolution, so far so good. I like it, I like watching Billy Burke, and will continue to do so long as it stays good. And that one dude, Zak Orth, who plays Aaron Pittman? In the first episode he had me cracking up. Seriously, check out the first epi if you haven't yet. What he says about bees, and then later about Google...hi-lar-ious. Well to me it is.  But then, I have an unhealthy fear of flying insects. Especially ones that have stingers. They do not like me much, and I do not like them either.

The Mob Doctor: Didn't like. It was an hour of my life I will never, ever get back. 'Nuff said.

Grey's Anatomy:  I don't know what to say about this show. I used to be a die hard fan. It was appointment television. But last season left me feeling blah and then...well then that last freaking episode in May. Gah! With Lexie gone and after what happened last night with McSteamy, well I just don't know. They were my faves damn it!! I don't really have a reason to watch this anymore so it's coming off the automatic record list. *sighs* Sometimes it's just time to let go.

Go On: Okay this one has me laughing, though I get it's not everyone's cup of tea.  I think Matthew Perry is fantastic though and the writing is funny. Though, I also love Community, so that gives some insight into what I think is funny. (I even have a t-shirt for the fictional college with the "Go Human Beings" slogan on it. It makes me giggle just thinking about it. I know, I'm a dork.)

Law and Order: SVU: Haven't watched this yet and I gotta say, although it's on the DVR I have no desire to. It just isn't as good as it used to be, and the creep factor kinda makes me not want to watch. (Same with Criminal Minds. I don't mind creepy, but sometimes they go way over the top with it.)  My fave of the L&O franchise was the original anyways, which NBC was whacked to take off. So yeah, I think I may just delete this before I even start. I need to make room for the new show anyways coming to NBC in October, Chicago Fire. Just the eye candy alone might be worth watching at least the first couple episodes.

And that's about all I've got so far. I have to watch last week's Haven so I can be ready for the second episode tonight and see if I am going to stick with this show. The only other show, other than SOA that is, that seems to be on my must see list so far is Once Upon A Time which is back on Sunday. Either this season has slim pickings for TV or I am just becoming more and more uninterested. Or perhaps it's just that I am more discerning about what I watch.

What, if anything, has caught your eye this season? Any good shows worth watching or shows that aren't worth the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment